Thursday, June 9, 2016

Politics? Meh.

This election season has me pretty turned off about politics. I know I'm not the only one. The word "season" doesn't feel like the right word to use in that opening sentence. Seasons are relatively short. They change. They pass. They make way for the next beautiful phase of life. Election time, on the other hand, seems to be a perpetual, never ending side show of ugliness that begins earlier and earlier each time it comes around. Media manipulation and mudslinging, fear mongering and rhetoric, conspiracy theories and cover ups, all spun together in the big bullshit blender of "Democracy" churning out toxic societal smoothies to be sucked down by the simpletons. Am I being dramatic? Yes. Negative? Certainly. However, I didn't always feel this way. Once upon a time I was optimistic about our political process and the people running for office. I was passionate, opinionated, and inspired. I was hopeful. Now I'm mostly just "meh."

This year my "meh" has eroded my enthusiasm so much that I almost completely overlooked the fact that for the first time in the history of our country, a woman has become the presidential nominee of a major party. This is a big deal. I explained to my young daughters that once upon a time women couldn't vote even if they wanted to. A little history refresher friends, the United States was 144 years old by the time women finally had the right to vote. This means that twenty eight U.S. Presidents were elected without the single vote of a woman. Furthermore, since we began voting in 1920, we've only had a say in choosing the last 16 out of 44 total Presidents. That's only 36%, which means two thirds of the occupants of our country's highest office were men, chosen solely by men. Time will tip this statistic eventually, but for now, the nomination of a woman as a major party's candidate is a big milestone in our country's history. Regardless of how much I like or dislike the specific woman being nominated, as a woman, I am happy for the progress of our gender and our nation.

Back to my daughters...

This morning I shared with them the news of the nomination and explained how each of the major parties picks a person to run for President. "So, right now," I said, "It's pretty much going to be Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump." They immediately asked who I wanted to win and began expressing their dislike of Trump. This was amusing to me for two reasons. First, neither my husband nor I have been politically vocal this year. And second, the most vocal member of our extended family these days is a big time Trump supporter. So, what's the verdict you ask? Well...

Trump is ugly and mean and he talks like a bully

In addition, they passionately offered up a list of alternatives they would prefer over a President Trump, including, but not limited to:

A frog
OJ Simpson
Uranus (though I'm pretty sure they meant Your Anus)

A talking marble

And now, I smile big on so many levels. This list is cute and funny, sure, but beyond that I smile because my babies are growing up. They are strong willed, passionate, independent thinkers who aren't afraid to tell you their opinions. They process the information they receive from the world around them and they draw their own conclusions. And, though I may gently guide them along the way, I vow to let them find their own. They are are smart. They are strong. They are the women of our future and I, am hopeful once again.

..



No comments: